Every now and then, there is no better feeling on Earth than knowing you've got no obligations ahead of you.
Given the nature of my dual employments, there have been more than a few days that I taught all day and then followed it up with a closing shift at the Gap. I know it doesn't sound like much to the casual reader, but when you've spent 8 hours dealing with demanding and selfish adolescents the last thing you want to do is spend your evening dealing with demanding and selfish customers.
Not tonight.
During my last hour teaching today, I was struck with the fact that I could go home and sit on my ass. That moment of realization was probably the high point of my day. I busted out of school this afternoon not because I had somewhere to be, but because I couldn't wait to go nowhere.
I did not want to get out of bed this morning. After a two-day Star Wars bender, I just wanted to sleep. Seeing Episode III twice in a 12 hour period was great, but after the second viewing I had to drive 2 1/2 hours home. And this was of course after going to bed at 3:30 in the morning following the Midnight premiere. But hey, it was the last Star Wars movie, and I would have gone to the Midnight show even if I was teaching the morning after.
Anyway, the point is that tonight after I got home from school I did absolutely nothing. I took a nap, reheated some leftovers for dinner, and watched TV I had taped in the last few weeks but hadn't gotten around to watching yet.
In all things, balance.
When I wasn't working as often, I'd be bored sitting around the house. Now I've been working everyday, sometimes twice in a day, and I have to look days ahead to find my chance to do nothing.
Ah well, in the end I guess it's the paychecks that matter.
Friday, May 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment