Sunday, September 17, 2006

Oktoberfest = Awesome

One of the greatest reasons to be back in Michigan is the glorious celebration known as Oktoberfest in Frankenmuth.

We saw enough old guys who probably fought the Nazis in the '40s who were there and enjoying themselves, so I'm taking that as permission to celebrate traditional German culture. Just as with my feelings on St. Patrick's day, the beer is only a very small portion of the overall celebration for the day.

My checklist for the perfect Oktoberfest was as follows:

1. German beer. (check)
2. Giant Bavarian style pretzel. (mmm... pretzel...check)
3. Sausage. (check)
4. Oompa music played by a band in Lederhosen. (check)
5. University of Michigan beating the ever-loving crap out of Notre Dame. (check)
6. Free samples at the Cheese Haus. (check)
7. Family style fried chicken at Zhender's. (check)
8. Hooking up with a hot chick dressed in a beer maiden costume. (Alright, that one's still on the to-do list...)

But nonetheless, this year's Oktoberfest stacks up as perhaps the best one I've been to. We had a great group, plenty of time to eat and drink all we wanted, perfect weather, and U of M didn't lose to Oregon.

3 comments:

Mike Wilson said...

You know what would go great with Oktoberfest? Lederhosen Lucil!

Brad said...

Oh my God! I hadn't even thought of that possibility! I don't think I've recieved an e-mail from Lucil for a while... I wonder where she is touring right now.

If I remember correctly, though, she is always a part of some music festival in Texas every year. I know that doesn't narrow it down much since Texas is freakin' huge, but just a thought...

By the way... I think you're living right near where I was born and lived for the first 5 years of my life. I know we lived in Arlington, and I know my mom got her MSW from the University of Texas at Arlington, which I believe you referenced recently in your blog.

Brad said...

Are you kidding? I love the chocolate cheese at the Cheese Haus.

But yes, we made it quite clear that we would not be going to Bronner's.