Thursday, October 16, 2008

Weekly Update

I haven't kept up on the old bloggy blog because I feel like I never have anything insightful or deeply important to convey. So, instead of stirring up controversy or inspiring thoughtful reflection, I'll just regale you with the minutiae of my weekly happenings.

My staff has to write a weekly report to me, I write a weekly report to my boss, so I figured I might as well give you all one too.

This past weekend I went back to GVSU for Homecoming. A good time was had by all. I didn't get to see some of the RAs that wanted to see me, but I saw everyone else who I wanted to. One of the best parts of the weekend was the trip out to Yesterdog at 1:30 AM, a tradition that is always fun.

If you've ever seen American Pie, you may remember that it takes place in "East Great Falls" Michigan, otherwise known as East Grand Rapids. That's where the writer was from. The characters always go to a hot dog restaurant called Dog Ears, which is actually Yesterdog. Of course they filmed the scenes at some nicer restaurant probably in Los Angeles, whereas the real Yesterdog is old and kind of shady in the best possible way.

So, getting back to work this week I have felt like I'm still catching up. That's always the danger of being gone for a weekend in Residence Life. Most of the week is spent dealing with things that happened over the weekend even when you're here, so being gone for a weekend means a lot more catching up on Monday. I think I'm about caught up for the week now, so it all works out.

Really, the most exciting thing going on this week is that today in the cafeteria is the Pretzel Bar. It only happens about once every 3 weeks, so for me it's kind of a big deal. I know getting excited about pretzels sounds kind of lame, but you forget how much I love pretzels. Last time they had a marinara stuffed pretzel with Parmesan cheese baked on to it and regular cheese stuffed pretzels. I've cleared my calendar for the lunch hour today to make sure nothing stands between me and pretzels.

Otherwise, I've decided to stay out of political discussions this election season. In 2004 this blog was a constant rant against the crazy liberals and Captain Flip Flop himself John Kerry. This year I know that I'm one of the only Republicans around who will admit to it, and I'm tired of trying to argue against those who have already deified Obama. When they ask why I don't support him, which to the Obama cult is blasphemy, I simply tell them that I'm not a socialist.

And because he's a Care Bear.


Think about it. He believes that sunshine, rainbows, and happy thoughts will solve all of our problems. He's got the Care Bear Stare. He lives up in the clouds, far away from reality. It makes a lot of sense. I'm not voting for a Care Bear.

That's about all from me. Hopefully this weekend is quiet and without incidents in the building. I've got episodes of Heroes and The Unit to catch up on this weekend, but after that no big plans.

No comments: