Sunday, December 05, 2004

Just Clerkin'

All day today I felt like Dante Hicks. If you read my blog, I'm guessing you know who Dante Hicks is. Though not scheduled at all this weekend at The Gap, one of the managers called this morning and asked me if I could cover for someone. Though not sleeping on the floor in a pile of my clothes, I was nonetheless roused from my bed in order to go into work. I figured I wasn't going to do much before 4:00 anyway, and I could use the extra cash.

I wasn't a bad day, but it was not a slow and easy day either. Today marked the end of our "Friends and Family" weekend, and as such we had a whole lot of people coming in to use their discounts. And of course, all these customers who had the discounts were purchasing like $300 worth of items, which had to be separated into 30% vs 15% off piles before being rang up. Though I tried to resist for the day, about halfway through the busy shift I responded to a co-worker with "I'm not even supposed to be here today!"

Though I can't hold myself to this, I am going to set a goal that after New Years, I will no longer be at The Gap. It's not a bad job or anything, but I just feel like a tool working there. My hope is that by New Year's I will have used my discount to buy everything I could ever buy there, and since schools will once again be open without breaks I can just make money subbing.

Tomorrow I am going to my Alma Matter to look into a potential opening in their Social Studies department. My brother brought home a school newspaper with an article about class sizes, and it said that there were two openings that they were hoping to find new teachers for in order to reduce class sizes, and the job website confirmed this. The only hitch is that the posted deadline for applications was over a month ago, but I'm hoping that maybe they just haven't had anyone apply and I can still get in. It's only a part-time job for the current school year, but it beats middle school subbing and folding pants. If nothing else I am going to try to get myself into the sub-pool so I have added possibilities for subbing jobs.

3 comments:

twg said...

I totally said that over break when my Dad asked me to give the dog water. I'm not even supposed to be here today! Not my job! But, I obliged.

Also, thanks for the cert. I bought a grey plaid skirt and some "Heaven" eau de toilette. You are the bestest.

Mike Wilson said...

Are you by chance in need of a Randall?

twg said...

Mike, you'd be a great Randall.