I got out of work at 9:00 Saturday night, and found a voicemail from my brother waiting for me. Having kicked off the festivities earlier in the evening, he was calling to tell me he was having a party at his house in East Lansing. Not having anything to do that night, or the next day, I figured I might as well just hop in the car and go.
As far as house parties go, it was a good show. Not too many random undesirables that you feel crowded, but more than enough people to make things worthwhile. In addition to my brother I chatted with a few other guys I knew, and it was a good time. At some point, as more people showed up, I somehow managed to strike up a conversation with a stunning girl who had caught my attention the moment she arrived. I had just started my third Guinness, which I guess is just enough to get me loosened up without yet hinting at the unfortunate specter of Drunk Brad.
Right off the bat it becomes known that this girl is an alumnus as well, and so I feel absolutely no trepidation about flirting with her. I was able to keep her engaged without saying anything stupid, doing anything awkward, and did not otherwise bore her or embarrass myself. I even have independent confirmation that she did, in fact, seem interested in me.
And just as suddenly and inexplicably as our conversation began, it ended. The police had made a brief appearance outside, the keg ran out, and apparently the group she came with was moving on to greener pastures. Just as I realized she was leaving, she was already gone. Did I have a chance and miss it? Was the opportunity never really there? Did I miss my cue to formally propose a one night stand? How does one negotiate "going somewhere more private" when you don't have a place of your own to go?
Comments?
- Malis, stop snickering.
- Jon, play 6 degrees and figure out who that girl was.
- Watergirl, as the only female who I know reads this blog, your perspective is always appreciated.
Monday, March 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Pick your Cusack movie, I guess.
Sounds like "Serendipity" to me.
Dunno dude, seeing that the 6 degrees thing was my idea, I think you're about where I'd say to be.
The trail grows cold with time. Move and strike, Jon.
Sometimes you need a little bit of movie-script in life...
...push-come-to-shove, if nothing comes of it, it'll have been a brief moment of opportunity that will be forgotten as soon as it was created. Unless something comes of it, that is.
So, what have you? Strike while the iron is hot, or just watch it cool.
Additionally, I'm reminded of when C didn't let us play Chewin' The Fat senior year. He knew we'd remember it way better than it'd be to play it half-assedly again -- better not to ruin the memory of something fleeting and great.
Eh.
Brad, if you want my longwinded assessment, check your email. I'll write something this afternoon, okay?
:)
I mean, tomorrow afternoon, maybe?
Watergirl, I didn't mean to imply that I was impatiently awaiting a response from you. I only mentioned it in the original post because your comments are always fun, and because getting a female perspective is always a plus. No biggie.
She was an alumnus? Brad, I didn't know you were so lonely in Holland you'd decided to switch teams. Well, good for you, and good luck.
If she really was a girl, though, then she was an alumna, not an alumnus.
Damn you Latin suffixes! She was a female and a graduate, and any fancy label beyond that isn't important.
At least she wasn't an undergrad. Eew.
Then again, you're probably still in the "able to date undergrads" mode, so I guess whatever.
And, I'm working on my response.
I'm not sure if I would date an undergrad or not. My younger brother is 21 and a junior, and my rule has always been that I would not date any girl younger than my brother. I guess since I'm only 23 I could still date a girl who was 22 or maybe even 21, but she'd have to be a hell of a catch. No insipid, party-girl, frat-rat co-eds, though.
I'm kind of a party girl, but I don't think in the way you mean it. I just like to go out drinking.
Also, for the most part, I wouldn't date a guy younger than my brother, either ... my bro also being 21. But I'm 25. Aren't you 23? You can date a 20 year old. But this all said, I'm pretty sure a guy I went on a date with in November was an undergrad.
Let us just bear in mind that the half-your-age-plus-seven (plus-seven)rule of thumb define minimum acceptability. Brado, at 23, can thus date 18 1/2 year olds; But I think we can all agree that would be mildly icky. Likewise, at 25 I am tecnhically allowed to date 19 1/2 year-olds. But, clearly, that would require some explaining.
My own minimum age, not that I've needed one lately, is 21. I have to at least be able to ask her out to the bar. I think it's a good rule for everyone in the post-college twenties. I'm a fan of plus-seven mostly as a joke.
I was always one that prescribed to "if there's grass on the field, play ball," personally.
I usually say 21 is my bottom limit, but I wouldn't really date a 21 year old.
My upper limit is problematic, however. I mean, dating anyone who isn't in their twenties just sounds scary. Like, ew, a 30 year old? I'm too young to date a 30 year old!
But, at 25, that's clearly not true. I'd say that, ideally, I'd like to date a 27-8 year old. That sounds nice.
Post a Comment