Friday, July 15, 2005

Time to Go to Work

I started Thursday morning in North Carolina with a complimentary breakfast at a restaurant next to the hotel. I was expecting bagels and muffins and such, but I got my first taste of culture shock going from North to South. Apparently biscuits are served in some form for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I went to the high school around 10 to meet with the principal, not sure if it was a second interview or just a meet and greet. After talking to her for about 2 minutes it was clear that I already had the job, and that I was just there to take a tour and seal the deal.

I am going to be teaching World History to 9th graders, and it sounds like they've got a lot of programs in place really focusing on the transition from middle school to high school. All of the freshman classes are in the same hallway, and that little part of the school is the "Freshman Academy". There's another new World History teacher, and a teacher who taught World History last year is now teaching a study skills class for the freshman, and has offered to help us by sharing her lesson plans.

The principal told me that new teachers in the department start off with World History, and that the upper level classes like US History and Government were usually taught by people that had been there a bit longer. From what I've seen they don't have any psychology classes, but I know they've got some more specialized AP classes like Earth Science, so they obviously have started expanding into AP. I'll figure out for certain once I'm actually in the system, but if they don't teach AP Psych yet I'll start nagging at them to let me start the curriculum.

As far as extra-curricular activities go, the one thing I've talked to the principal about is a student literary magazine. It sounds like there's an English teacher that wants to start one, so I'm trying to get on board. I think there's a few teachers from Michigan at the school, and I know of at least one who's been nagging the principal to let him start a hockey team. As much as I love hockey I don't really know anything about it, but I'd see if he'd teach me on the job as an assistant coach or something.

No comments: