Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Am I the Only One?

Am I the only one out there who can see what's going on in Washington D.C.? Am I the only one who realizes that none of these congressmen really have an opinion on the way our military is handling operations in Iraq, they're just grandstanding for CNN? Am I the only one who gets pissed off about this kind of stuff when the war in Iraq is brought up?


The idea of micromanaging our troops and their commanders is just mind-boggling to me. As much as I hate all the ill-informed, narrow-minded, naive views of the public and the media, it's even worse when those in political office start believing the hype and playing right into it. They know that this isn't really going to impact anything, and they are beginning to drop the pretenses and admit that this is nothing more than naked political posturing.

If someone, anyone, can present a coherent and well-reasoned argument as to why the immediate (and by immediate I mean the soonest it is logistically feasible, so let's just say by the end of 2007) withdrawal of all our forces from Iraq will benefit our domestic and foreign interests, you'd have my full attention. As an addendum, please list all the problems that such a course of action will solve. Apparently the very instant the last set of boots leaves the ground in Iraq all of our problems will be over, so I just want to see it in print.

Meanwhile, I for one will continue to support General David Patraeus and his conduct of operations in Iraq. Of all the opinions on how to conduct our forces, his is the only one that actually means a damn thing. Far too many times in history have military leaders been bound and crippled by the shortsightedness of political leaders, and so I hope General Patraeus overcomes Congress' myopic threats to effectively neuter his command and keeps fighting the good fight.

1 comment:

Mike Wilson said...

This is what the Democrats have done since Vietnam, Brado. The great casualty of that traumatic war was not America's self-respect, but of a viable alternative to the G.O.P. The Democrats used to be a part with 80% as many good ideas as the republicans, but those days are long, long gone.

And never forget, what you encounter in the media is not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality.