Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Help with Shakespeare

I picked up a 3 day gig teaching English at Holland High School, and the lesson plan just says to stretch Hamlet (the one with Mel Gibson) out for 3 days. It was started yesterday, so we're talking 4 days of 50 minute classes for a 2 hour movie. I take as much time as I can with attendance and announcements, and leave a few minutes for discussion at the end, but I just don't know if I can fill the time. One idea I've had is to bring Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead as a last ditch time filler, but having never seen it I don't know if any high school student would get it. I'm going to rent it tonight and watch it anyway, but if anyone (MW I'm looking at you) has seen it and can give some input, it would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

Blog ho said...

You could show them My Own Private Idaho which is an interesting/provocative flick and has a very interesting Henry IV scene, though modern.

Mike Wilson said...

In my AP English class, we spend about ten times as much time on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Ae Dead as we did on The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark. We spent so much time on it that I zoned out; so, don't really remember anything but this: Tom Stoppard is not nearly so clever as he thinks he is.

Laudec said...

Nah. I'd have'em write 1 paragraph summaries of the entire day's action.

Snicker.

I know when I was in high school, I could've summarized anything, no matter how big or small, in a paragraph.

Thanks to the knowledge of proper formatting and being able to see past my crayon now, I know that it takes at least an intro, paragraph, and conclusion.

Yes sir. Engineering...FOR LIFE!