Wednesday, February 09, 2005

No Refills

Not being Catholic, I've never really known what to do with Lent. Sure, we Protestants keep track of the 40 days and 40 nights leading up to Easter, but not to the same degree as Catholics. Growing up Methodist, I honestly don't know if we're supposed to observe the same sort of restraint and denial during the Lenten season. I know the parallels to Jesus' time spent in the desert have been mentioned during Lenten services, but I don't remember any guidelines being laid down for expectations during Lent. Really, everything I know about not eating meat on Fridays and making sacrifices during Lent has come second hand from Catholic friends rather than from a sermon.

That being said, I've decided to give up pop for Lent. Not being an overly hedonistic individual, I've never had an overwhelming vice to get rid of. Sitting at IHOP with Joe, giving up pop seems like one of the most beneficial things I could do. I don't drink a lot, but it is a very habitual thing that will take vigilance to adhere to. As a corollary to giving something bad up, I'm also going to try some self-improvement by rededicating my efforts to go to the gym. I say right now that I don't know if I can make the same sort of promise on this as I can for giving up pop, but it's on the agenda nonetheless.

1 comment:

twg said...

Just don't do the 40 Days and 40 Nights thing. Mark my words, it's not for the faint of heart.

I'm giving up meat this year. No pun intended with the previous paragraph -- been there, done that.