Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Weird Day

I really do enjoy writing, the problem being that I more often than not find myself without anything to write about. I imagine that if put into a position where more writing were demanded of me, I would become a faster and more prolific writer. Well this morning I found myself coming up with things to write, but no time to do it. I spent the afternoon at the Gap, trying to nurture the ideas and keep them alive long enough to see the creative light of day once I got home. Luckily, I didn't lose them, and have since spent the evening in the rather enjoyable pursuit of actually writing.

Today's shift at the Gap wasn't anything unusual, except for a few comments made as I was leaving. The manager on duty was off in another part of the store, and so when my shift was ending I gave him a quick sitrep (situation report - I watch too many military related things) over our headsets. Apparently what I thought was just a standard list of things to do impressed the younger employees that were there, and two different individuals commented that I should be a manager based on my display of competence. They didn't put it in those terms, but apparently basic competence at one's job is all that they think is necessary for a managerial position.

Hey, if I could get paid a manager's salary without any commitment to stay there once a teaching offer comes along, I'd take it. Somehow I doubt they'd invest in a manager who may only be there for 4 more months.

2 comments:

Mike Wilson said...

Become a manager and immediately put in your notice. Just to screw The Gap. Screw The Gap.

Brad said...

Oh if I could, I would. I just don't see my position changing to offer me such an opportunity.