Fuck Paramount Pictures.
Fuck Les Moonves.
It was officially announced today that at the end of this season, Star Trek: Enterprise has been canceled.
You may think I'm overreacting. While I may not serve jury duty wearing a Starfleet uniform, and can't speak Klingon, Star Trek has always been a part of my life. I watched reruns of the original series with my dad before I could sit up on my own. Unlike the finite existence of Star Wars, where there could really only ever be 6 movies, there has been new Star Trek without pause for the last 19 years. Star Trek IV: The Voayage Home premiered in 1986, and in 2005 Star Trek: Enterprise is in its 4th season. But there will be no 5th season. There may never be Star Trek again.
I took Enterprise for granted. I did not fully embrace it from the beginning, and I feel guilty for that. I watched the series premire, and then missed a lot of episodes during the first season. I eventually caught up through encores and TLAM's VHS library, but did not become a dedicated viewer until the 2nd season. During the 3rd season, it became known that the series' future was in question, and the Save Enterprise project was born. I quickly joined the forum and e-mail group, and began writing letters to the network executives in order to being the show back for a 4th season. We succeeded last year, and the current 4th season may be the best yet. Knowing that a full 7 year run was by no means guaranteed, the campaign continued this year to ensure a 5th season and beyond. Today marks the darkest hour in that struggle.
There is still a chance, however slim, that another network could pick the show up. There have been quite a few science fiction shows in the last few years that were cancelled, and then brought back for new episodes on another channel. I'm sure that this will be the new goal of the Save Enterprise campaign. But as much as I can hope for a miracle, there is the very real possibility that Paramount will not allow it. The odds are against us, and the situation is grim.

Enterprise NX-01
No comments:
Post a Comment