While I don't feel that going to church every Sunday is enough to make one a good person, I do feel like less of a good person for having not been to church in a long time. While it can't make up for months of absence, I had told myself that I was going to go to church on Easter Sunday no matter what. I told my family I was going to go, and they told me to have fun but that nobody else would be going with me. I was fine with that, having been to church by myself before. It wasn't the ideal, but I was still going to go.
Well, while out with The Captain last night, he convinced me to join his family at Mass this morning. He said that after sticking with my abdication from pop through Lent, I might as well finish it going to a Catholic church for Easter. I was game, and so this morning I went to my first Mass.
In many respects, it really was not that different from a Protestant service. The building was very similar to my own church, the most notable differences being the holy water and pews. Some of the hymns were most likely being sung at the same time just down the street at my church, and many of the responses were the same. That is, until we got to Communion.
Not being baptized or confirmed in the Catholic Church, I knew I'd be sitting the actual sacrament out. But even knowing that, it was a bit overwhelming to see everyone around me quoting the long and numerous responses during the Eucharist. So I sat there, watching a few others doing the same.
I may or may not actually be a better person for going this morning, but I still feel good for having gone. I had not realized that Easter marks the first day of the new year for the Church, but I can understand why. There seems to be a renewed sense of hope and possibility in the air, and I thank God for that.
Sunday, March 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's because of people who only come to Mass on Easter and Christmas that it is nigh impossible for routine churchgoers to find a seat on those days. *grumble grumble*
I understand your frustration, having to sit in the back of the curch on a folding chair last year when I went to my hometown church for Easter. But, for what it's worth, at the 8:30 Mass I went to there were still plenty of open seats in spite of my added presence.
Post a Comment