Friday, April 01, 2005

Making it Happen

On graduation Sunday I drove myself to Crisler Arena since I had to be there before my the rest of my family. Walking back to my car after Commencement I took the tassel off my cap and hung it on my rear-view mirror. I wasn't sure how long after graduation was appropriate to keep it one there, and a few weeks later I decided that I would keep it on the mirror until I got a real teaching job. It seemed like a good benchmark and statute, and I didn't think it would be on there all that long. After all the disappointment of last summer's job search, I kept the tassel hanging in my car.

Whatever symbolism there is about moving from one part of my life to the next, I'm done waiting.

I spend Wednesday morning at Kinko's making copies and putting portfolios together. I also put together a few envelopes to be mailed to school personnel offices and principals of a few of my target schools. I'm down in Chicago this weekend, hanging out with the Captain until I leave Monday morning for a job fair nearby. I've got more envelopes to mail out, and more job fairs to go to in the next few weeks.

The tassel is gone.

I'm going out there, and I'm getting a job. I took the tassel off before I left to drive down here. It's not going to be luck, or fate, or symbolism that gets it done.

6 comments:

twg said...

Good for you, Brad. Get that job!

Mike Wilson said...

For Christ's sake, Brad, the basketball stadium is Crisler Arena not Chrysler Arena. It's named after former football coach Fritz Crisler, not the fucking (former) Chrysler Corporation. That's a mistake a State kid would make.

Laudec said...

You guys have a basketball team? Wouldn't it be easier if they could play closer to their cells -- in jail?

Bunch of convincts runnin' around.

At UNC, they can get away with it.
At UofM, just the football team.

And somewhere, you just know, John Navarre is contemplating how he can outsmart a gas station attendant out of $29.

twg said...

I hate John Navarre. I hope someone drives him out to the Arizona desert and just leaves him there.

Mike Wilson said...

And exactly how many people were arrested after the loss in the Final Four, Laudec?

twg said...

My guess is everyone. Go Moo U!