A few days ago The Last Angry Man said in reference to the "impending retirement" of Chief Justice Rehnquist:
There are only nine of these people at any one time, surely it is not beyond our abilities to pay moderate attention to two of them simultaneously.
Apparently it is beyond our abilities.
The retirement of Justice O'Connor, a spring chicken at only 75 years old, came seemingly out of left field. Given her swing-vote jurisprudence, I wonder if the same list of nominees to succeed Chief Justice Rehnquist will be used to nominate a successor to Justice O'Connor's place on the bench.
I wholeheartedly hope that the Senate and general public will agree with President Bush that "The nation also deserves a dignified process of confirmation in the United States Senate, characterized by fair treatment, a fair hearing and a fair vote."
But we all know it won't happen. The Senate is a very ugly, very childish place right now, and the entire nomination process will be turned into a partisan circus.
Friday, July 01, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I didn't take it as mean-spirited, so no harm no foul. I agree with you on all of those points, Camouflage Watergirl... I am a Republican but I don't agree with the ultra-Right on most of their "moral" agendas.
I know that the Republicans are just as petty as the Democrats at times like these, but I get a sense that there are quite a few Democrats who will fight Bush just for the sake of fighting Bush, not because of ideological differences. Of course I don't like the amount of leverage conservative relgious groups and lobbyists have either.
Post a Comment