Went to a boring-ass pointless Substitute Teacher Orientation for 4 hours this morning. Yes, it means that should I conceivably get a subbing job (ever) I will get an extra $10 a day for having sat through this bullshit. And yet, the fact that I have been thrice certified as a teacher by the State of Michigan does not entitle me to more money and/or acknowledgement than other subs who have met the bare minimum of 90 college credits. So, there is a good possibility that after 4 1/2 years at the University of Michigan, I can lose out on jobs to community college drop-outs.
I don't mean to disparage those of you who attended community colleges... Lord knows that I don't feel like the exponentially extra cost of U of M really meant that much of a difference in education, but it's the principle of the thing. I don't want to be one of those high-and-mighty "I went to Michigan" pricks that we were all surrounded by in Ann Arbor, but where's all the networking and recognition that's supposed to come with putting up with a bunch of assholes from Long Island for 5 years? We're all told from the cradle to the unemployment line that if you do well in school and go to a good college, you're supposed to have earned a good job.
Well, I'll believe it when I see it.
Thursday, September 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment