I got to see President Bush speak in Holland this afternoon. Woot! I had heard about it Saturday night, but figured that hearing about it that late meant there was no chance to be able to attend. But, last night my mom saw on the news that tickets were still available, so I went down to the Holland Republican headquarters and got myself a ticket.
I'm sure the whole event was monitored by a score of federal agents, but security seemed fairly low key. They checked my ID and ticket, I walked through a metal detector, but that was about it. I chose not to pick up a free flag or sign in order to keep my hands free for my camera, and because it would have been annoying trying to carry it back on my bike. But, there were 12,000 other people around me with Bush signs and cardboard Ws, so it was still an impressive show.
I got there about 11:00, and the President was scheduled to come on stage at 2:00. The rally began with a few speeches by a local Iraq veteran, the mayor, assorted state politicians, and some Congressional representatives from surrounding areas. The big musical act was a Country group, which I wasn't thrilled about but which didn't bother me too much. The President actually arrived 40 minutes early, and they played the music from Air Force One as the motorcade pulled up.
I like President Bush, and today made me like him even more. He got off the bus wearing trousers and a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. He thanked us for our Dutch hospitality, and got into his speech. He didn't have a teleprompter. but spoke for about half an hour about all of his major platform issues. As an audience we'd pause every now and then and yell "4 more years", just cheer and applaud, or yell "Flip-Flop" with hand gestures when he got a jab in at Kerry.
As I left I saw that all 7 Democrats in Holland had turned out to protest. Damn dirty hippies. They had signs that said "Don't Worry - Vote Kerry." Newsflash - "Worry" and "Kerry" don't rhyme, I don't care if Mikhail Moore told you they did. I know it'd be easier to stand for something about Kerry if Kerry stood for anything, but it's too late for you to convince me.
Monday, September 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like to think that I played at least a small part in helping you see the political light; glad to have you aboard, Brad. I'm jealous that you got to hear the President live.
As Wilson will take a small piece of credit, that also do I. You turned out alright, even after having hair like a girl-type hippie in 9th grade.
Nice to see there are at least 3 of us.
Still, it's so hard to believe that it's so damn hard to find those of us that are of this supposed "majority". We oppress who? We protect who?
Damn right.
They can keep burnin' their flags, we'll keep buyin' their unemployment asses toilet paper.
And rollin' papers.
Damn hippies.
Post a Comment