Tuesday, September 21, 2004

My New Toy

This is my inaugural post on blogger using my new laptop. After years of wanting one, and months of actually planning to buy one, I have succeeded. Between the combination of a sale price, 0% financing for a year, and the fact that I've actually been working in the last two weeks, I bit the bullet and did it. All of you computer geeks out there who may feel the need to critique my purchase, BACK OFF. I did not just stroll into Circuit City and buy the first thing I saw. I compared Dells, HPs, Gateways, Sony Vaios, Toshibas, and IBM thinkpads to this model before I decided. I also maintained my deep and abiding hatred of Macs and Powerbooks by not even considering them.

I am loving my new computer. I spent yesterday evening getting rid of the crappy Microsoft Works package and other assorted programs that it came with, and installed Microsoft Office 2003 and a virus program that wouldn't expire in 90 days. I spent this evening transferring files from my desktop over the network while watching BBC and ABC News. Now, I'm typing this while watching Tiny Toon Adventures. In case you're wondering, it's the one where Babs seeks out Honey, the black and white female cartoon mentor she's been searching for. As a side note, it's really interesting to see Bosco and Honey as predecessors of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

So now I'm going to go back and rewrite my Newsletter column since something screwy happened when I used Dave's computer to e-mail it to Mike.


5 comments:

Mike Wilson said...

Hey, Brado, I wanted to post this following your Lions post, but for two days now the commenting feature following that post has been non-functional.

Anywho, I honestly believe that if you look inside yourself, you can determine whether or not you are a fair weather fan. Also, it's not as if you've decided to hitch your wagon to, say, the world champion New England Patriots. My beloved Detroit Lions are 2-0, but neither the Chicago Bears nor the Houston Texans are the cream of the NFL. Sooner or later, the Lions will lose a game. Then another. Your dedication to and love of the Honolulu Blue will be tested then. After they blow a lead and lose a game they should have won, will you still love them? Will you love them the way I loved them through M&M's first season, the 2-14 season? Then and only then will you know if you are a fair weather fan.

Mike Wilson said...

One last thing: if you are a fair weather fan, that isn't cool. If you are a fair weather fan, you suck and I hate you.

twg said...

Was the Pats thing a dig on me? I still love the Lions, it's just that they don't show them in Beantown. I will watch on T-giving with my heart poured into the outcome of the game, though, as always.

Mike Wilson said...

What? No, of course not. I mentioned the Patriots because they are the reigning Super Bowl champions and thus by definition the best team in professional football. Who better for a fair weather fan to support than the champs? If you support the Pats, it's because Tom Brady is a Wolverine and, news flash, you live in Boston. Hmmm, you read a lot into my offhand mention of the Patriots. Feeling guilty, are we?

twg said...

I did read a bit in, sorry. People give me shit here, but I was pro-Brady back when he was splitting time with Douche Henson in college.

The Pats were fun to watch last year, though. There were a lot of close games. Sort of like the Lions under M&M, except that the Pats actually won. Boy, the Lions were killer in that era. My dad and I used to watch the games together and just about die every time. Fucking rough, man.

Go Tedy Bruschi!