Today marks the first full day I have spent now that I am living back in my parent's house in Holland. For the first time in five years, I don't have an end date in site. Even during the two summers in college that seemed to go on forever, I at least had some solace in knowing that I would eventually be going back to Ann Arbor. Back home.
It's funny that I think of Ann Arbor as home, and not Holland where my family is. Technically, I have lived in Holland for the last nine years. But, realistically, I only spent four there. For the last five years I have spent most of the year in Ann Arbor, and have been a year-round resident there for the last three. Holland became a place I only went to to visit.
All hope is not lost. The plan is that I will only be here for a few weeks at most. Right now I'm playing the waiting game on my employment for the fall. Unlike other fields that have openings and hiring throughout the year, the field of teaching does all of its human resources work at the last minute. So, no that we're into August, the principals are coming back from a month of vacation, and all of us unemployed teachers are sitting by our phones waiting.
And waiting.
As it stands, there is one school I would really want to work at (Plymouth - by Ann Arbor), one school I could work at for a year (Holland High School - not my Alma Mater but still I'm stuck living in Holland), and a job in the psychology department at U of M that would pay the bills for a year or two. Sure, there are other random schools I applied at, but I am not thinking about those as much.
So, tomorrow I will finish unpacking my car, and keep hoping that my phone will ring. I've got some projects to keep my mind occupied. Let's just hope it's enough.
Monday, August 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment