Saturday, August 07, 2004

Leavin' Town.

This is my last day in Ann Arbor with any official relationship to U of M. I tried to make a list a while ago of things I should do before I left town, but I never got around to it. Nonetheless, I think my final hours in Ann Arbor have been memorable ones, and the events fitting for my last night in town.

To start with, at the beginning of the week I was pulling a double-shift for my job. Normally, each peer advisor gets a group of seven students to work with, and a partner with their group of students joins them. Well, since my partner left for med school, I took both of our groups by myself for the last week. The only reason I did it was because my supervisor knew I was the only one who could, but it was still a little trying. But, I prevailed and went out with a bang as far as my job was concerned.

So with orientation coming to an end, there had to be some sort of celebration. And celebrate we did.

I had made some off-handed (and apparently prophetic) comment earlier in the week that there had not been any illicit hook-ups among the staff this summer. Well, so much for that.

It started with a case of beer, and only got better from there. We played beer pong in the hallways while others played a Karaoke game for PS2. Once the case of beer was gone, we moved on to the party across the street where other members of the summer staff were.

At the party, a girl on the summer staff was getting friendly with me, and I didn't really do anything to dissuade her. I don't remember how she got there, but I know that when we were all kicked out of the house and went back to the dorm, she went to my room instead of hers.

I heard about it all morning from other members of the staff, and I guess all sorts of innuendos and rumours had been circling in the course of a few hours. I didn't let it get to me, I knew I was leaving town in a matter of hours. The day continued with ice skating at Yost Arena, a little end of orientation celebration at the office, and a final dinner on the University's dime.

All in all, not a bad way to make an exit.

No comments: