Monday, August 16, 2004

Breaking that awkward silence

While on IM tonight, I saw a friend of mine sign in for just a few minutes. I was waiting to see if she IMed me first, since I was too apprehensive to make the leap. We were really close right at the end of high school, and for 4 years played a yo-yo game of how close we were. Two years ago in the fall, we were getting seemingly closer than we had before, but just as suddenly we snapped apart even further than we had before.

I had one brief, awkward conversation with her earlier this year. From what I was able to gather, a lot had happened in her transition to graduate school. In the last few months I've faced the very stark reality of most of my friends moving on and moving out, and so while I am afraid of losing contact with them I am reminded of those with whom I have lost touch. Her name is top on the list, and as much as I want to try to reconnect, I don't know if it's possible. Let alone if it's a good idea. I have a notorious habit of not keeping in touch, but as bad as I was at it with her, it seems like it was precipitated by something more than just my own laziness.

1 comment:

Mike Wilson said...

Are you talking about the girl Grizzly Adams tried to ask out the night he just wouldn't take no for an answer?