Friday, October 29, 2004

Good God do I Hate Grant Morrison

I warn you now, this is going to be a nerdy fanboy post. Any of you who have spent any amount of time around me know that about 8 years ago I got back into reading comic books on a regular basis. I started off with just a few titles a month that I followed, and the list grew until eventually I was buying about 15 different titles a month at my high point in college. Since then I have gradually pared the number down, and last fall when I started student teaching and thus no longer making money, I stopped cold turkey.

Well, this summer I was living back on campus right down the street from the comic book store, and making money again to afford to purchase said comics. With the bane of Art Fair came the hidden blessing of the comic book store's 3 for $1 bins out on the sidewalk. So, for about $25 I was able to pick up most of what I had missed in the preceding six months, albeit with a severely shorter list of titles I would continue to follow. But, even after this there were still some large gaps in the issues I had, so I only flipped through the new issues instead of really reading them.

About a week ago, enter X-Men Legends for my Gamecube. I had been waiting for this game for months, and it spurred a rededication to getting caught up in my comics. An online order later, I think I've filled in the gaps and am ready to get up to the present.

The blessing of buying a year's worth of comics is that you don't have to wait a month to see how the story ends. I just finished reading the final two arcs of a writer named Grant Morrison, though to call him a writer is using the term loosely. This man is a hack of the highest order, and I hope he never again even writes on the back of a napkin. His story was convoluted, made huge jumps in both narrative progression and logic, and did not exhibit even the slightest grasp on the most basic aspects of the characters. That is, when he used the main characters, since half of what he did focused on some guy who didn't exist a page earlier and all of a sudden we're supposed to view him as the second coming. Just flipping through what the new writer has, I'm actually excited to be reading again. From what I've seen, the art is exponentially better, and the story doesn't require hitting myself in the head in order to get through.

He's actually treating the characters and their world in the way they're supposed to be used, instead of trying to be some daring, risk-taking, self-aggrandizing, post-modern hack.

So there you go. Fanboy rant over. Come back next time for a "what if?" sneak peek of (Heaven forbid) John Kerry's America.

No comments: